Sunday, December 16, 2012

Thankful

I learned of the events in Connecticut sitting at my desk in an elementary school.  As the day progressed, the reality of the situation became clear.  And it was horrible.  I was not able to watch any of the coverage on TV, and what I kept seeing online kept changing.  When we got home I instantly turned it on and couldn't turn away.  My questions were the same as everyone elses.  How could this happen?  Why did this happen?  I could not stop thinking of those teachers, children, and their families. Especially those parents.  They dropped their children off at school that morning assuming they would be safe.  Why would they think any different?  How do you drop off your kids and then never get to see them alive again?  This thought makes me sick to even think about.  I can say I wanted to go grab Annika from school and just go home.  I know this is silly.  She was perfectly safe and happy.  But I so wanted to be with her and Asher at that moment.  When things like this happen we realize how lucky we truly are.  I don't always take the time and thank God for what I do have.  A home.  A job.  Clothes.  A wonderful family.  However, on this day, I took the time to do just this.  I was lucky, and so grateful, to put both of my children to bed that night, knowing there were parents out there not getting that privilege.  There will be many discussions in the next few days, weeks, months, about how to stop this from happening again.  People will take sides and most likely fight about what is right.  But right now, at this moment, everyone is heartbroken over the loss of these children and teachers.  Our thoughts and prayers are all together.  We are taking the time to hug and kiss our children just a little more than normal.  As the days, weeks, and months go by, we will all go back to our day-to-day lives.  Most of us forgetting about the horrible actions that happened.  Myself included, I'm sure.  I just hope that I continue to truly realize how lucky I am and thank God everyday.



No comments: